It has been a year since I have touched this blog, so let's get started. My kids are in the second semester of school at the local public school. I have taken up substituting at least once a week there and have discovered a few things. School is not what it used to be- not even for this little K-12 school my kids are attending. I attended the same school they are in when I was a child. For the most part, the kids are still well behaved. The elementary section is still run very well (for a public school). You see, I am a bit biased, I still think home school is the best academically. I think they do too much text work and not enough hands on in the public schools.
The Junior High section is pretty good also, but I noticed some slacking off academically. I was helping Steven J. do some writing homework one night and noticed he had written IDK on one of the answers. I asked him what that meant and he said "I Don't Know". I informed him he could not write I Don't Know on an answer, and he let me know that his teacher said it was fine. I couldn't believe it. So now we are allowing the kids to answer something with I Don't Know and even worse it is in "phone text" version (IDK). Needless to say, my son will not be writing IDK on another paper, but it saddens me to realize how low some of the teaching has gotten. On a good note, Steven J. and I both were pleasantly surprised by the science class. Science has always been Steven's favorite subject. They do lots of hands on experiments.
The High School section on the other hand, I am disappointed in. After three years of Spanish, shouldn't a student be able to speak, read, or write some of it? The math area is excellent though. But math is my best subject, so there is not problem with my teaching it to our children.
So, the dilemma- do they stay in next year or come back home? Guess we will just have to keep praying, weighing the good and bad, and decide over the next months.
Please comment if you have any opinions on this subject- I could use all the feedback I can get! Thanks!
Topics I will be covering this week: learning to quilt and my husband and I are back together after a two month seperation-God truly loves His children
Thanks for stopping by and God Bless You!
No comments:
Post a Comment