Thursday, August 28, 2008

Thursday's Thought

For the past six months or so I have been keeping up with a website called MoneySavingMom that helps you to save money on groceries. I have to admit it does help. Sometimes it helps quite a bit and I save more than I spend. Over the months, I have been trying to keep up with how much I spend approximately every two weeks on groceries and have been pleasantly surprised to find that for a family of six, I only spend about $50 to $70 for every thing we need. This includes hygiene needs as well. I do not have a set dollar amount budget, but I think even $70 is pretty good.

On a seperate note, there are times when I don't even have $30 or $40 to spend and those are the times I feel guilty about. I am a person who likes to serve natural as opposed to processed and when you cut costs, you tend to cut a lot of the natural. My husband does not care as long as he has something to eat, so that helps. But I simply do not like when I have to buy bologna and processed cheese. Ugh :(

So, yesterday, this is where I was at, and to be honest, I cannot remember if I prayed for the Lord to help me make the best decisions with what money I had and for his help in finding the things I needed. I probably did, as I pray short prayers like this often when I am struggling with little things. In any case, I received a few surprises.

My neighbor had told me earlier in the day that I could help myself to his apple trees. In the afternoon I got a craving for a good piece of fruit, so the kids and I took the wagon to load up on apples. I needed eggs and lately eggs have been getting quite expensive. I remembered that a friend of mine had been wanting to travel somewhere to pick some apples and she has chickens with plenty of eggs left over. I gave her a call and asked if we could trade. She was more than willing. When I got to her house, she also had a bag of squash and cucumbers for me! (I recently moved and my new garden is not yet making). And last but not least, when we went to church last night, a friend there had some cereal and snacks, that he can come across for free, to pass out.

So, my thought for the day is that the Lord is Good! ;) We have never gone hungry. The Lord has always provided. I am so very thankful.

If anyone has a story of the Lord's goodness, please share. It is great to hear how He works in other's lives.

May God bless you.

No comments: