Thursday, April 10, 2008

This book is definitely going on the reading list...

One of the things in life I really enjoy is finding a good book. I am quite choosy when it comes to what I read. I am the same way with movies. So, on that note, I would like to share this little story.

A little less than a month ago, I was in Mardel's and came across some DVD's they had marked at 5 dollars. I noticed a couple of them were by Michael Landon Jr. The name of one was "Love Comes Softly" and the story line was written by a woman named Janette Oak. Now I am a huge fan of Little House on the Prairie and this movie looked to be along those lines. I decided to write down her name and look up her books on ebay and amazon. I did that and came across some, but decided I would order them later.

I, of course, forgot all about this little find just about the next day. At this moment in my life, with the house building added on to all the other duties in my life, my brain cells are not working at 100 percent! Ha, Ha! I tend to forget things just about 10 minutes after I think about them. Anyway, back to the story.

Our little town library just finished moving into a new and much needed building this month and the kids and I were thrilled to go check it out. As I was walking through the aisles and admiring the fact that you could easily see what books were available(the old building was so crammed, it was very difficult to even get through the aisles), I came across a section of books for teenagers. I decided to look for some wholesome reading that would be good for my kids over the next few years. I came across some books by a woman named, you guessed it, Janette Oak. I did not even remember the fact that I had already come across her name. There were at least fifteen books by her on the shelf. I searched and found the one she wrote first in her life, and you guessed it again, it was "Love Comes Softly".

Now I know you think I must be lying, but I did not remember anything about this title or her name. The book looked good, so I thought I would give it a try. I proceeded to take this book home and stay up until after midnight for three nights in a row to finish it. It was beyond excellent!! I still can't help but wonder about the future of these characters! I went to the library today and got the sequel. Maybe not such a smart idea, seeing as how I had to lay down and take a two hour nap today due to exhaustion!

Anyway, after finishing the book (I am not sure if it was ten minutes later or hours), I realized I knew the name. I checked my notes by my computer to make certain it was the same author and yes, it was. I then said a short prayer to God, thanking him for putting this book in my way. God blesses me with little things like this all the time. I believe he realizes how scatter brained I am and helps me out. In any case, if there are any other "little house on the prairie" lovers out there, you've got to read this book. It is definitely going on the list for required school reading for my kids! I'll let you know if the sequel is as good.

In fact, I suppose I will probably read every book the library has on the shelf by her.
Hope this blog has been worth the reading! Have a great week!

Oh, and if you have a book that just couldn't put down, let us know about it.

No comments: