Thursday, November 20, 2008

Cookbooks and More Cookbooks...

I decided yesterday that I have too many cookbooks. So, I cleaned out. Over the past ten years, I have become much more conscious of what I eat. I read labels on a regular basis and have tried to cut out a few things all together(like red dye #40 and sodium nitrite). I have undergone another self assessment and decided that I need to cook even more from scratch. I do cook a lot from scratch, but it seems when a busy week comes along and I buy more ready made items, that I have a harder time going back to just from scratch. I am going to try really hard to stick to it this time. I am even going to ignore coupons that are for ready made items as much as possible.

So, I got rid of all my Kraft recipe magazines(the ones that come in the mail very often and are free). Almost every recipe in these magazines calls for ready made items, like pudding mixes, ready-made crusts, and mayonnaise(which I have also just cut out of our diet). There are some dinner recipes that are good and are made from scratch, so I tore some of those pages out and kept them. I also got rid of some of my bigger cookbooks that I just didn't seem to use very often.

I am hoping that by narrowing down my selection, I will actually try some new recipes and not be so overwhelmed.

So, if you have any absolutely to die for recipes from scratch, send them on over!
God bless!

No comments: