Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Supper under $2.50 total!

I found a recipe that all my kids loved and it has cabbage in it! I was quite surprised to say the least. Here it is:

Copenhagen Cabbage Casserole

1 pd. ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1/4 cup onion
1 can tomato sauce
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground clove
4 cups cabbage
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Brown meat and onion. Blend next 4 ingredients and add meat. Put 2 cups cabbage(I shredded it) in casserole and top with 1/2 meat sauce. Cover with remaining cabbage and meat sauce. Cover and bake in oven for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

The cost:
1.47 for turkey meat
.35 for tomato sauce
.25 for half a head of cabbage(I found this for 50 cents a head)
I already had all the spices.

This was very good. I was surprised how good the meat sauce tasted. When I pulled mine out of the oven(I forgot to cover it as well), the cabbage was mostly soft with some parts still a bit crunchy. I liked it that way.

The funny thing was the looks and groans I got when the kids saw it. They just knew it wouldn't be good. Next thing I know, everyone had eaten it and some had seconds. Even my picky eater liked it!

We had yams (found these for 20 cents a pound) and pinto beans (which I had cooked some days earlier) on the side. So all in all, the meal was around or less than 2.50 for the entire thing. Divide that by 6 people and you've got a really cheap per person meal.

The recipe came out of a small booklet entitled "Good cookin' from the plain people". It is from the Hearts and Tummies cookbook company. The # is 1800-571-BOOK if you would like to order it. (I think I found it on our trip to Fredericksburg.)

God bless.

No comments: