We had a blast at the Halloween Festival last night! The local small (K-12 size) school has a festival every year. I attended the small school for most of my life growing up and each class had a certain booth they would do each year. For example, the Kindergarten class always does a ring toss.
Taking my kids now brings back so many memories. It also opens the door for lots of jokes and laughter! You see, though the booth ideas have stayed basically the same, the winning prizes of some of the booths has definitely changed. One of the booths is called "The Country Store". When I was growing up, this was a favorite for most everyone. You gave them a ticket and you always won something, whether it be a stuffed animal, toy car, or flashlight. The items were always nice or new. Well, unfortunately, over the years things have changed. My family and I have a good laugh at what we bring home every year, but this year was great fun! While walking to the car with my husband to load the items, I cracked a joke something like this... Only in west Texas, at our little local school, can you walk out of a Halloween Festival with a large Christmas lighted candy cane yard ornament, a TV(yes, a small, very out dated TV), and some chair cushions for the kitchen table!!!
These items were at least all in good or new condition. Not counting the many stuffed animals(some with holes in them and some badly needing a washing), my niece went home with a hard foam football that had chunks missing out of it and a name that had wore off some! It is hard to know whether to laugh or cry at the change. Honestly, I say it is a sad sign of the times.
The other booth that has changed the winning prizes quite a bit is the "cake walk". If you won this when I was young, you were rewarded with a wonderful home-made cake. Nowadays, you could get anything from a bag of popcorn to a case of drinks. So very sad! Honestly, my kids do not even mess with that one anymore, but for some odd reason, they still enjoy bringing home everyone else's junk!
Thankfully, they do still win some plants, cokes, candy bars, and of course, just good ole' candy. This is how I keep my candy jar full for the year. One festival takes care of it.
The kids have a great time and that's all that matters! And honestly, the rest of us always have a good laugh!
God bless and I hope you enjoy your festival as much as we enjoy ours!
No comments:
Post a Comment