Okay, I am going to hit a touchy subject for some people. When Harry Potter first became so "big", I firmly told my children they would not watch the movies. I do not like getting involved with the "in" thing and allowing my children to become overwhelmed by it all. I also did not, at the time, want to take the time to check out the movies myself to see if they were okay to be watched.
Well, a couple of weeks ago, my dad sent the kids home with the first movie. I thought about it for a while and decided we would sit and watch it together. The whole "Harry Potter" scene is not so big anymore and I felt there would be no harm in checking it out. We could always turn it off. So, we watched the movie. Unfortunately, I truly enjoyed it. So I, of course, had to watch the rest of them. Here is one of the dilemma's. As the movie's go on, they get more adult-like. The first movie was children friendly, I thought. By the fifth one, I decided that they became more for a mature audience. In any case, myself and my children did enjoy the series.
Now, I realize there are many out there that do not agree with watching or reading anything that has to do with magic or witchcraft or anything of that sort. I agree to that to a point. When I was a teenager, I loved reading some books entitled "The sword of shannara", "The elfstones of shannara", and so forth. They were wonderful reads. They did have magic in them, as well as elves, and druids, and things of that sort. But I knew these things were simply for imagining and fantasy. I don't see a harm in letting my children grow their imaginations. I feel that if they are firmly rooted in God's Word, they will use these things simply as a means of enjoyment. I love reading a book simply for enjoyment and for taking me away from some of the everyday trials. It helps get me through the day sometimes.
I believe God wants us to enjoy life and books are one way of doing that. I still think you have to be careful sometimes to not step over that boundary. I do not see us buying the Harry Potter movies. (The ones we watched were borrowed.) I am allowing my children to read the first book if they want.
So, what is your opinion? I would be glad to hear from you.
God bless.
No comments:
Post a Comment