Wednesday, September 17, 2008

One Adventure Ends...Another Begins

I did something today that I wasn't sure would ever happen. I gathered up all the items that belong in my phonics program, put it back together and then placed it on a high shelf to be (hopefully) handed down to my grandchildren one day! This is both a sad and exciting event. My youngest is now beginning to read on her own and no longer needs the program. I have to admit that this is a little sad to me because the early years are my favorite to teach. I love watching their excitement when the light bulb comes on. Young children learn in the easiest way. There's no books or assignments. You don't have to schedule in everything they need to learn because they simply learn by living. You just enjoy them.

Now, I am entering into new territory. My oldest just turned thirteen. I still can't believe I am old enough to have a teenager. As my kids have gotten older, I have learned a few things about myself. I love being able to talk to them. I mean a real conversation. That is something that is sort of hard to do with a three year old. I also very much enjoy knowing that they can take care of their own needs. What I mean by that is: they can bathe themselves, brush their own teeth, fix a sandwich for lunch, do some chores around the house, etc... I also enjoy their company. We discuss books, movies, likes, and dislikes, and are becoming, in a way, friends.

What I don't enjoy is having to be more scheduled with school(I am not a schedule person) and making sure my oldest is learning what he needs to be able to go to college one day. I don't enjoy having to tell him he has to do his math, whether he likes it or not. I don't enjoy grading all the papers. I don't enjoy making sure he hasn't missed something he should have learned. Now, I know he must learn to be responsible not only with the things he likes, but those he doesn't like as well. And I know he needs to learn that sometimes life is just not fun, it is hard work. I also know that just because I don't like doing these things doesn't mean I don't have to do them. I do. And I will. But I am not going to promise to smile the whole time! ;) Sometimes it is a struggle for me to continue home schooling. But most of the time it isn't. And I truly believe this is where God wants me to be and what He wants me doing right now.

So, life is still going on and I am seeing opportunities every day to enjoy my children. We don't do any more "book" work than what has to be done. And I still throw "hands on" activities in there pretty often. I am going to enjoy these last "early" years of my youngest daughter's and hang on for the ride through the teenage years up ahead! (By the way, I am open to any good advice!)

God Bless!

Don't miss the free book "give away". Look for it under the title "My first give away-free book."

No comments: