Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Tuesday's Talk

Another year of home schooling. When I first began home schooling, I really had no idea that I would still be doing it seven years later. There are many times when I wonder if I should enroll the kids in school, but always change my mind. When I first started, I really did not have many doubts about being able to school my oldest son, Steven J. It was first grade, what could I do wrong. Then a few years went by and I discovered that I had serious doubts as to whether or not my son would ever read! ;) I follow the schooling method of Ruth Beechick and when they decide they want to read, they will. At least that's what the books say.

I trusted in the words of many different people who agreed with Ruth Beechick and just let my son keep "playing" until he was truly ready to put forth the effort. I did read to him, and the other children, from the beginning, a lot. And Steven J. started a phonics program (I think he was probably about seven) and read some words and small books here and there. When I was about to think he would be twelve before he really started reading good, he took an interest. He was about nine years old and within about 6 months, his reading level jumped over three grades!

He is now thirteen and reads, reads, and reads. We have a joke between each other. There are many times now when I will have to tell him to put his book down and help with something or do something else. He says, "You know mom, you used to gripe at me because I wasn't reading enough, and now you gripe at me because I'm reading too much!" Isn't that grand!

I am going through the exact same struggle(only he is even more reluctant to read) with my second son. But I am a little more relaxed about it. I've seen the rewards. My third child, a girl, taught herself how to read at about four and has been reading since. That one sort of blew my mind for a little while. And my fourth child, another girl, is finishing up phonics and starting small books at the age of seven. She is more interested than my boys, but not as interested as her sister.

It never seems to amaze me how different each child can be. I have learned over the years to trust my instincts a little more about what each child needs. And to say the least, it has been a great rollercoaster ride!

Please feel free to comment on any post. ;)
May God bless you.

No comments: