Monday, September 29, 2008

To school, or not to school...

I am not talking about home schooling. I am talking about my schooling- college. I finished up my associate degree (by taking online classes) last year. After that, my plan was to finish my bachelor's and then my master's, so that when my youngest was about sixteen, I would be able to consider employment. The degree was to be in English and if I teach, I wanted to teach college. My plans hit a snag. You can easily find online classes offered for your associate or your master's. The bachelor's, well that is another story. At this point in time, I do not want to take out a loan because once I do that, I must devote the next six or so years to being in school non- stop until I finish so that the loans do not become due. Also, if I take a loan, I want the amount to be able to pay for college and still have at least half left over for investing. In that way I am hoping to be able to use the invested money to help pay off the loan when it becomes due.

Another snag- I am unable to attend classes because home schooling my children is a priority right now. I have only come across one university(I also receive the pell grant, so I must attend a university that accepts it) that offers a Bachelor's that can be taken online. It is a business degree. I considered this and at the last minute dropped mainly because of the costs.

There is something else nagging at me as well though. When I attend school, it takes up every bit of my free time. When my kids were smaller, it seemed I was always running around doing something. As my kids have gotten older, I have noticed that I have more free time. And now that we live next to my parents, I have noticed enough free time that I have taken up sewing projects lately! So, when I think about attending school and giving a lot of that up, I am not sure I want to anymore. At least not at this point in time.

I enjoy my schooling very much. I am a bookworm for sure. My husband tells me I am very book smart but have no commom sense. There are times when I have to agree with him. I know that if I really wanted to and made it a priority, I could be anything I wanted to be job wise. For me, that is a hard reality sometimes. I am really giving up quite a bit to stay at home and be with my children all day. I admit, sometimes I wonder about this decision. But as I am getting older and honestly, getting closer to my heavenly Father, I am more settled and content with doing just what I am doing.

It is still a struggle for me sometimes. I wonder if I should go ahead and put them in the small school we have moved near to. I wonder if I should go ahead and give up my free time and continue my education. Should I keep home schooling. Should I just relax and enjoy the wonderful free time God has blessed me with. I know there are mothers out there who don't think on these things and are perfectly content to be at home. I am sure there are mothers out there like me though. They choose to do what they feel and know is right for their family at this moment, but also dream and know that God wants more out of them in their future. They just don't know what it is or how to go about it. They just trust that God will grant them time and are patient and content with the now.

I think I will make this post #1, as I am not happy with ending it there, but have taken up enough of your time. So, next Monday, I'll finish this up.

God bless!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget about the free book! Tomorrow is the last day! Look for the info in my older posts.

No comments: