Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Tuesday's Talk


Just before I went to bed last night, my husband, Steven, informed me that he needed a uniform washed for the morning. I, of course, said, "Thanks for telling me now." Okay, the uniform situation is a touchy one for me. His company has a dry cleaning service pick up the uniforms on Thursdays. At least it is supposed to be on Thursday's. There are weeks when they will simply show up on Wednesday. That's when I feel like calling the service. I have plenty of my own family washing to do and the uniforms just add to the situation.


So, I admit I need to work on my attitude concerning this. I put some in the wash(if I had been more concerned with making sure my husband had what he needed, I wouldn't have forgotten to wash some in the first place). Now, my washer is not a speed machine, so I was going to have to get up in the middle of the night and move them to the dryer(and take the white clothes out of the dryer as well, so I could put the uniforms in). This is not the first time I have had to do this. As I've mentioned, this is a sore spot.


At 12:something a.m., I woke up and remembered to go take care of the dryer thing. At 3:something a.m., Steven woke up, went to the bathroom, came out and asked me if I had taken care of the uniforms already. I told him "yes." Now, listen carefully, as this is the important part of this story. He then got back in bed and said, "I appreciate you." Now, I don't hear that on a regular basis. I don't even hear that on a non-regular basis. But I tell you what, when I do hear it, I am on cloud nine.


Steven and I have been going through some rough patches lately. And I don't mean just your normal marriage stuff. But we both know that we made a promise to each other and God joined us together. We love each other and are trying and praying to make this marriage a joyful one. We know our children are watching and we do not want them to learn that giving up or taking the easy way out is acceptable. Way too many people in this day and age simply throw up their hands and seperate or divorce. The Bible is clear that divorce is not the option God wants. Man decided they needed that option.


By the grace of God, Steven and I are making it. Prayer gets us through. The rough patches are beginning to smooth some. I am learning more and more about humility and patience. And once in a while, I receive a little reward. Steven gave me one last night when he told me he appreciates me. What more could a wife want.

No comments: